media ecologies :: the eco-garden, a long-term project
DIY Solar Cooker Workshop
thursday july 24, 2008 1pm monday july 21, 2008 8pm
Presented as a preview for our upcoming-series
?creative eco/techno gardening forgirlsandboys' (2009-...) :
the cook, the artist, the engineer and their urban garden;
OKNO/so-on invites you to participate in the mini-DIY-workshop:
++++ HOW TO BUILD A SOLAR COOKER ++++
thursday 24 july 2008 at OKNO, 01pm till 6pm
A Solar Cooker is a device that allows you to cook food using the sun's energy as fuel.
+ Solar cooking is the simplest, safest, most convenient way to cook food without consuming fuels. But for hundreds of millions of people around the world who cook over fires fueled by wood, solar cooking is more than a choice.
+ Moderate cooking temperatures in simple solar cookers help preserve nutrients.
+ Smoke from cooking fires is a major cause of global warming.
+ Many solar cookers are portable, allowing for solar cooking at work sites or while pursuing outdoor activities like picnics, trekking or camping.
+ and so much more ? read:
specific cooker-models to build during our workshop:
1. the CooKit or Fun-Panel_Cooker (built from cardboard)
2. the Paracucina or the Portable Solar Barbecue (built from an umbrella)
3. Double-Angled-Twelve-Sided Solar Cooker (DATS)
- 1 big cardboard (1m x 1.2m) or an umbrella
- aluminium foil
- stanley knife and/or scissors
- thin-metal, dark colored cooking pot (e.g. chinese steampots) ? if not black, we can paint the outer surface with blackboard paint)
- vegetables of your choice, rice
- metal wire to make a stand for the cooking-pot
- non-toxic, water based glue
- blackboard paint
- metal ruler
- plastic oven bags